“To free us from the expectations of others, to give us back to ourselves, there lies the great the singular power of self-respect” – Joan Didion
Have you ever been disappointed by someone before? Of course, you have! The truth is, though, that the disappointment we experience stems from unfair expectations we place on others. This week, on I HAVE TODAY with Diane Forster, we’re talking about how to drop those expectations and find more freedom and fulfillment through self-love and compassion.
Below are three intention statements for TODAY’S episode. Release your expectation of others, practice compassion, and watch your relationships reap the benefits.
Love it! – I love how special and powerful I am.
Thank it! – I am grateful for my self-love.
Bring it! – Everyone is doing the best they can, including me.
“It is perfectly fine for you to want whatever it is that you want, but that does not mean that someone else will want it too. The expectation of others has ended many relationships.”
Three Strategies to Drop Expectations of Others
- Begin to notice when you feel disappointed.
- Ask yourself why you need something from that person.
- Practice the Emotionally Emotional Diffuser Process.
Listen in to the episode to learn more about each of these strategies, and how you can employ them in your life and see your relationships begin shifting.
“We all want to be seen, heard, validated, and appreciated.”
Each week, we provide you with a mantra meditation, a fun, transformational way to apply the concepts in each episode. Tell yourself the story of what you want, without all of the limitations, and watch your life begin to change! Listen to this week’s mantra meditation to grow in self-love. Letting go of the expectations of others, and growing in the confidence and love of who you are and all that you are capable of, is the only way to truly move forward in success and fulfillment. Each day, we are surrounded by people who are doing the best that they can. Listen in to this week’s mantra meditation, embrace self-compassion, and extend compassion to your relationships.
“We don’t need others to change to suit our needs or expectations, we just need to love ourselves more and accept others just the way they are.”
Some Topics we talk about in this episode:
- Introduction – 0:49
- The Pitfall of Our Expectations of Others – 4:23
- Three Strategies to Drop Expectations of Others – 10:57
- Love it! Thank it! Bring it! – 20:32
- Get a Personalized Morning Mantra – 24:07
- TODAY’S Mantra Meditation – 32:08
How to get involved
- For more information about working with Diane and to gain access to valuable resources visit dianeforster.com.
- You can contact Diane for coaching information at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- To learn more about the EED Process discussed on today’s episode, get Diane’s book, I Have Today.
If you liked this episode, be sure to subscribe and leave a quick review on iTunes. It would mean the world to hear your feedback and we’d love for you to help us spread the word!